Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Most Romantic Thing

Aah, weddings! Can’t beat them for love, fun, and stress!

My precious niece Jennifer married her Prince Charming this past weekend, and it was a true fairy tale wedding. I spent most of the weekend in an emotional turmoil-- thrilled because this is a match made in heaven; sad for my brother and sister-in-law who were placing the care of their 28-year-old baby girl in the hands of her new husband, Andrew; thrilled that my sister-in-law’s mother was healthy enough to make the trip; sad because the occasion made me grieve anew for my late father. He was so proud of his granddaughter, who became a passionate civil engineer because of him.

There were many romantic moments throughout the weekend, as you would expect at such a time. But the most romantic thing to me was what Andrew chose for the groom’s cake. He wanted to be in charge of his own cake and refused to tell anyone anything about it.

We were floored when we saw it. The cake was a rolling landscape, with a river running across the center. A two-lane blacktop road angled from one corner to the other and crossed the river on a well-built bridge. Nearby a construction crane rose, the finishing touch to the scene.

My neice designs bridges.

What a loving tribute to her. Jennifer is breathtakingly beautiful, has a tender and generous heart, is sweet and polite--in short, she is easy to love. Any single one of those qualities would be enough to make someone fall in love with her. But Andrew loves her completely, wholly, and deeply. He loves everything about her. I get weepy thinking about it.

It’s like when my husband filled my stocking with binder clips one Christmas. He knew I was about to enter my manuscript in a lot of contests, and that was his way of saying “I support you wholly and completely.”

Bridges and binder clips. Not exactly roses and chocolates, but, to me, they say “I love you” much more eloquently.

Whats the most unusually romantic gift you’ve given or received?

3 comments:

Nannette said...

I can't think of anything to top the bridges and binder clips! Thanks so much for sharing your wedding weekend with us!
Nannette

Christy Reece said...

What a sweet story, JoAnn!

And the stocking full of binder clips brought tears to my eyes. It also brought back a sweet memory of my own. In 2004, my sweetheart surprised me with a new laptop and told me he wanted my dreams to come true. I still get choked up when I think of that moment.

Christy Reece said...

By the way, the laptop totally made up for the ironing board and flannel nightgown he gave me our first Christmas together. He's learned a lot since then!