Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Model Man

The other day I read a blog from one of our other members who mentioned a list of movies that she wanted to see this summer. In the paragraph she mentioned Brendan Frasier in a way that left no doubt in my mind that she wouldn't mind spending some vacation time with him if she were single. I wonder if she envisions him when she writes about her hero?

I mold my hero's looks on people that I find attractive or who appeal to me in some way. I may have seen him in a movie or in real life but they all speak to me in some elemental manner, which is a classier way of saying that they make my toes curl. They are traditionally dark haired, tall, and they all seem to share the same roguish smile that has me biting my bottom lip as it lights up his face.

The best thing about my heroes are that they are a conglomeration of everything I find attractive in a man; think Pierce Brosnan for his sophisticated good looks, Matthew McConaughey's voice, Robert Downey, Jr's eyes, and George Clooney's smile. Their character attributes are a little harder to pin down. They tend to run more to people that I have met. The gentleness of my first boyfriend, the strength of character and worth ethic of my father and the intelligence and strength of will of my husband. These are the type of men that help make up my heroes. They are part fantasy, part reality and I hope, interesting for those who read about them.

Who do you visualize when you model your heroes?

7 comments:

Christy Reece said...

I kind of like to create my own heroes looks, so I don't usually have any one particular man in mind. However, the third book I wrote, my hero had a strong resemblance to 'The Rock'. And the second book in my trilogy coming out next year, my hero is very loosely based on George Clooney and Andy Garcia. I think it was George's smile and Andy's dark brown eyes. Sigh. Just thinking about them makes me smile.

JoAnn said...

I'm like you, Diane -- I tend to base my heroes on men I've known and loved. But I'm not adverse to throwing in a quality garnered from George Clooney or Liam Neeson. Or Sean Connery (yeah, I know he's old as dirt, but you have to admit he's still hot!). Or Vigo Mortensen. Or Harrison Ford. Or...

JoAnn said...

I'm like you, Diane -- I tend to base my heroes on men I've known and loved. But I'm not adverse to throwing in a quality garnered from George Clooney or Liam Neeson. Or Sean Connery (yeah, I know he's old as dirt, but you have to admit he's still hot!). Or Vigo Mortensen. Or Harrison Ford. Or...

JoAnn said...

LOL! Sorry about the double post. My comments are NOT that important!

Diane Richmond said...

Joann,

All of your guys are really worth mentioning twice. I love them all!

Naima said...

I'm definitely with you, Diane. I model my heroes after men I find incredibly...ahem...intriguing. He has Vin Diesel's voice and body, Brad Pitt's smile, Denzil Washington's...umm...okay, Denzil Washington. But, I also love Latin men. Like Antonio Banderas'...yeah, there I go again. Just Antonio Banderas'. So, every story has a different looking hero, because I have such a mixture to pick from! LOL! Did I mention Colin Farrell??

MaryF said...

I was just talking to my dh about this last night. When I wrote Hot Shot, I'd spent the summer watching ER reruns, and I based my hero on Clooney, my heroine on Maria Bello and the best friend on Anthony Edwards. I'm watching ER reruns again and those three are on.

My current hero is based on Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Denny from Grey's Anatomy.) I couldn't tell you what it is about him but I find him irresistable, and so does my heroine!