Friday, May 23, 2008

So Many People, So Little Space

About seventy-five percent of my book purchases the last two or three years have been debut authors. I do this for various reasons. First, I want to support new authors, I just think it's the right thing to do. And I'm hoping when my books come out, others will feel the same. Grin. Also, I know many of these authors through various loops or from meeting them at conferences. I'm truly excited for them. Additionally, they are my competition. I want to see what's selling. And, of course, I want to read a good book.

One of the biggest joys I get from buying these books is reading the acknowledgement and dedication pages. Admittedly I cry much more often than I used to...must be my age, but we won't go in to that. But I rarely read a dedication or acknowledgement from a debut author that I don't tear up. Each author has had their struggles, triumphs and pitfalls in their publication journey, and thankfully they've had people who stood by them and supported them. There is just no way to do this all on your own.

I've often joked and once blogged that it would take pages and pages to thank everyone individually who helped me along the way. I know soon I'll be asked for these and I want to be prepared. But there's just so many!

How about you? Do you already have in your mind the people you'll acknowledge and dedicate your books? Have you already prepared yours? If so, feel free to share. I might need some pointers
!

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I will probably fill a page. But I'll start with my sister. She's the first one who didn't act surprised I was writing. Plus she was willing to read one of my first paranormals and then encouraged me to keep going.

MaryF said...

I'm with you Carla, I will probably fill a page as well.

But the first dedication will go to my closest friend; Jen, who has read, critiqued and made me a stronger writer. She can say anything to me; and sometimes its tough but I trust her. She has never let me down.

Ok; well, that's all fine and dandy; I just have to get published .....LOL