Thursday, May 15, 2008

Say it Loud! I've Got Curves and I'm Proud!

Last night history was made.

Okay, maybe not "man-on-the-moon" history, but it was definitely a momentous occasion. The first plus-size contestant won America's Next Top Model. Whoo-hoo!! Thick girls every where pump your fists (I'm doing my best Arsenio Hall "Dogpound" imitation here)!! Whitney, a curvaceous blond from Florida who every one expected to be outed about six episodes earlier, won the whole competition--or shebang, to use the vernacular.

Why am I so thrilled about this?

Because we live in a society where being larger than a size six is considered a mortal, fat sin! Even Whitney, a gorgeous size ten, is labeled Plus Size! Plus Size!! And, here I am, aspiring to fit into a size ten pair of jeans that won't make me look like I'm getting ready to "drop it like it's hot"! But, a woman who isn't the traditional idea of beauty won a contest of beauty. In it's small way, it serves the world notice that a woman can have hips, breasts and junk in the trunk and still be fab-u-lous. And for someone who has (d.) all of the above, it's so refreshing! What's equally wonderful is we're beginning to see the same trend in romance novels. More and more heroines aren't so bloody perfect. They have frizzy hair, a pimple that suddenly arrives overnight and--yes!--curves. Some of my favorite books have full-figured heroines. Sherrilyn Kenyon's Bride in Night Play. Lori Foster's Grace in Too Much Temptation. Clarise in Kelly St. John's Real Women Don't Wear Size 2. These characters have special places in my heart because I can easily identify with them. How many of us have bemoaned the fact that we had to buy that too cute pair of jeans in a larger size to fit over our--ahem--assets? I'll be the first to raise my hand on that one. But, what I love most about these women is each comes to own and love their bodies, discovering a confidence and sexiness that is not only attractive, but awe-inspiring.

And, let's be honest, it doesn't hurt that they end up with the hot guy, either. Or that the hot guy is head over heels, tongue- dragging-on-the-floor in love with their hearts and their curves!

2 comments:

Diane Richmond said...

Naima,

I am all about the curvy gal getting the hot, hunky, guy. It was great to see someone who wasn't a size 0 win!

The only sad thing about this is that I wore a size 10 when I was ten years old. Keep striving for that size 10.
In real life a 10 is skinny.

Carla Swafford said...

I guess all the books I write women are 'real' sizes. Since I've never felt tiny or fragile. Even though when I was a teenager I weighed 110 lbs -- My mom and sister had a weight problem, but it was the other kind -- they couldn't gain weight.