Sunday, May 11, 2008

My First Hero

I have many heroes in my life. People who have touched me in various ways, by their bravery, determination, talent, generosity, etc. But I will always have one special hero and that's my first one...my mother.

She raised three daughters by herself. Took college classes at night and worked full time during the day. She also suffered from debilitating migraines. I don't know how many times she'd drag herself to work, agony in her eyes. Having suffered a few migraines myself, I still can't figure out how she did that. I think I have some wimp genes from a few generations back.

Through determination, grit and sheer cussedness, she advanced from file clerk to buyer at a huge retail store. She was ambitious and determined to succeed. If you complimented her, she'd just shrug in her modest way and say she had no other choice, she had three daughters depending on her.

No matter how busy she was, I don't remember ever feeling abandoned, neglected or resentful, but I do remember the enormous pride in her successes.

My mother also shared with me her love of reading. When she wasn't working or attending an event for one of her children, you could usually find her with a book in hand. She encouraged us to explore our world, and growing up in a small community, exploring often involved the written word.

I will always be grateful to her for not only loving me, but teaching me concepts such as the importance of a good work ethic, kindness, charity and keeping an open mind. She embraces these concepts so much better than I ever will, but I'm learning.

Though she'll probably never read this blog and would be embarrassed by such praise if she did, I'm writing this in honor of my Mom. Happy Mother's Day. Thank you and I love you.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

What a loving tribute to your mom, Christy. She is very clearly an extraordinary lady -- she raised at least one kind and generous daughter (and I'm sure your sisters are kind and generous as well!).

Christy Reece said...

Thank you, JoAnn, you're a sweetie.

Actually, my sisters are kinder and more generous than me. I'm still struggling with that gene from several generations back.

Diane Richmond said...

Great tribute to your Mom. I am sure that she would love it if she read it. Make a copy and give it to her. She'll be so touched she'll cry.

Christy Reece said...

My mom is famous for her stoicism. I've seen her cry only once. It was at the end of the movie Back Street with John Gavin and Susan Hayworth.

A very old movie and a real tear jerker.

May 13, 2008 3:01 PM