Thursday, May 01, 2008

The First Pitch

I am preparing for my first pitch..for a book. I've sent queries for articles and have had one or two published. This is different; I'll be speaking directly to the editor.

I've heard terrible stories, of some getting so nervous they can't speak, some may cry, others blather on.

I think I may be a blatherer.

So; to prevent that; I am writing the rough draft this month--or as much of it as I can and I am going to go over the hook; goal; motivation; and outcome of the two main characters.

Sounds easy. Of course not. Still; it is worth the experience.

Soon; I'll have my war story about a pitch--so how about you? What can you remember of your first pitch? Tell me about it.

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

I did my first pitch at the Silken Sands conference a few weeks ago. There are a lot of different ways to approach your pitch, but once you decide which one you want to use, write the pitch down and read it a hillion-jillion times. I even printed mine out and propped it on the dashboard of my car so I could read it while I was sitting at traffic lights.

My appointments at Silken Sands went well, and the editor even said "That was a really good pitch!" when I finished. (I owe it all to Kelley St. John's workshop!)

Good luck, Mary!

JoAnn said...

P.S. Check out Agent Kristin's blog--she's talking about pitches!
www.pubrants.blogspot.com.

MaryF said...

Thanks Joann!