Saturday, May 31, 2008

Beach Bound

In just a few minutes, my sister-in-law and I are heading south, and we’re not stopping til we hit the aqua blue waters of the Gulf of Mexico. It’s a quick trip -- just overnight for my niece’s bachelorette party--but I’m excited. It’s been a long time since I slathered on the sunscreen and hauled a beach chair to surf’s edge.

Years ago, my extended family rented a beach house for a week every summer. It was a trip we all loved, especially after we figured out how not to get on each other’s nerves. My sister-in-law and I would show up with tote bags full of books--hers were mostly mysteries; mine, romance (of course!)--and bury our noses between the pages while we buried our feet in the sand.

I’m not pretending I can get through a tote-bag full of fun reads this weekend--but I am taking one book. It’s one I’ve been salivating over and saving for treat: Kelley St. John’s To Catch a Cheat.

So if you need me, send me a message by carrier seagull. I won’t be answering my cell phone because I’ll be baking on the snow-white Gulf beaches with my sun-burnt nose in a great book. I can’t wait!

What books do you have on your “Beach Read” list?

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon. This is the book we've been waiting for for years.

Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward. Death Angel by Linda Howard. The Devil you Know by Jenna Black. Blood Noir by Laurell K. Hamilton. And then to go into September...Karen Marie Moning's Faefever.

I love summertime!

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, have a good time, JoAnn. Sink your toes in the sand for me too.

MaryF said...

Gosh, you should see the pile...
I want to read the next installment of Shanna Swendson's book, "Don't Hex with Texas" and Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series.

That's just the really short list. At the moment I am knee deep in writing and I am half way done. So my reading is at the minimum. :)

But Carla, and JoAnn, you both added to my list with the books you mentioned....I need time...beach time!