Saturday, April 05, 2008

What's Your Favorite Part?

It's an exhilarating experience for me when I start a new book. Staring at a blank page one, all sorts of possibilities pop into my mind. These people have been living in my head for a while, but I've yet to create them elsewhere. Who are they, what will they do, why are they the way they are? All of these questions have yet to be answered. I love the first part of a new book!

Around page 75 or so, I have a good feel of my characters and the storyline, but it's decision time. Where will I go in my story? There are all sorts of possibilities. But these particular ones often stump me. For some reason, my characters stop talking to me and I'm forced to make decisions for them. I don't know how many times I made decisions they didn't like and I had to go back and change what I had written. If they'd told me in the beginning what they wanted me to do, it would have saved a whole lot of time.

Once my characters are talking to me again, I can usually go fairly fast to the finish. And then I'm done, but it's a first draft. Needs lots of editing, layering, descriptions. Holes have to be plugged, motivations have to be consistent and those pesky eye colors have to stay the same. But it's all a part of the process.

I've heard people say they love the beginning of writing their book, as I do. Others love the end and there are even some who love the middle...wish I was one of those. Still others love the rewriting, adding the textures and layers to give it the depth and stamp of your own voice.

Wha about you? Do you have a favorite part?

5 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I love the part where I go "Wow! That's so cool!" You know, the part where you finally wrote a scene that fully defined the book or at least the relationship between the lovers, or maybe it was the unexpected twist...yeah, that part.

That part that feels so good you know you're a writer.

JoAnn said...

I like the ending. That--the happily ever after part--is why I write romance.

:-)

Christy Reece said...

Oh, I love those parts too!

I especially love it when a character reveals something I didn't know. I just look at the screen and say, "Wow, I'm glad you finally told me." So cool!

MaryF said...

I'm with you Christy, I like the beginning, and funny enough the end. The hardest part is the middle and re-writes...LOL

Naima said...

I love the beginning of the book. It's where I have all this excitement about the characters, what's going to happen to them, how they do their little mating ritual, etc. But, unfortunately, I'm a "saggy-middler". The middle is the hardest for me. And, when I get towards the end, its like this mad race...and I usually have to end up going back and making my 100-yard dash to the finish a quarter mile! LOL!