Friday, April 25, 2008

What's a Real Man?

I don't know about you, but Joe Kita comes pretty close to it in my book. Married to the same woman 23 years, he has never cheated. But he's been tempted, and he "tells all" in this article.

And his endearing confession made me think about the heroes I write. I keep thinking I'm writing real men, but maybe I'm not. Maybe I need to look to my own husband-hero.

Now this will make you laugh. When I was a little girl, I fell in love with Andy Taylor. Yep. The Sheriff Without a Gun. Opie's dad. The law in Mayberry, North Carolina. I wanted to marry him. He was strong, honest, handsome (sorta!), loving, a small-town Southerner from North Carolina. He could sing and play the guitar. He became the standard to which I held all my boyfriends.

So when I was introduced to the man who would eventually become my husband, I got out my list. Strong? Check--both physically and emotionally. Honest? Check. Handsome? Big ol' check. Loving? Mmm. Major check. From Small-Town, North Carolina? CHECK! Guitar and singing? Check, check.

That was all it took. I was lucky -- real lucky -- that he saw something in me. We've been married almost 27 years. And I still think he's a real man.

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

That's cool.

JoAnn, I've always had a thing for Andy Taylor. The part I liked most was his parenting skills -- talking about a problem with his child, being there when it matters and times when it don't, and admitting he was wrong and saying I'm sorry.

From talking to your husband a couple weeks ago, yep, he's a winner. But we all know that he's lucky to have a winner like you.

Diane Richmond said...

Is the washer fixed? If so, I'm sure that he looks just as good today.