Wednesday, April 02, 2008

More chances

In about ten days, I will be pitching my book at a conference for the first time. I've been an RWA member for a long time and attended quite a few conferences, but I have never felt the urge to make an editor or agent appointment.

Until now. And I'll admit -- I'm nervous. Not because I'm afraid they won't like my book, but because I'm afraid I will draw a complete blank and stare dumbly when they ask questions.

But I'm looking at this as a learning experience. I may fall flat on my face -- figuratively speaking. But that's okay if I do. It's not my last chance to get published.

5 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

JoAnn, when I first met you, you were nothing but gracious and kind to me. So when you meet the editor, treat her like a new friend (as you did me) that's interested in your writing and you'll do great.

JoAnn said...

Oh, Carla, you are sweet! I think I can be nice to the ed/ag, but it's when they start asking questions that I'm going to look like an idiot! I get tongue-tied so easily these days (that's why I'm a writer -- not a speaker!). Anyway, I have to start sometime, right? :-) (Thank you for your very kind comment!)

Anonymous said...

Okay, now Carla and I have both told you the same thing. BELIEVE, Girlfriend. WE DO!

Diane

Christy Reece said...

JoAnn, you'll do great! Remember, you know your book better than anyone, so when they ask questions, you'll know the answers.

Take it from someone who is lousy at pitching...just ask my agent who was kind in the extreme when I pitched to her. These people are human too and are only looking for a good story they can fall in love with and sell.

And Carla's right. With your sweet, natural personality, you'll win them over before you even begin talking about your story.

Oh, one more thing. Take some peppermints with you in case you get butterflies in your stomach. They're good for breath too!

JoAnn said...

Thanks so much, y'all. I do feel better about things, and I appreciate your support immensely! (Excellent advice about the peppermints, Christy!)

I have printed out my pitch and have it proped up on the dashboard of my car. So when I'm sitting at traffic lights, I can rehearse. I'll just be glad to get one under my belt, so I won't be a pitch virgin any more.
:-)