Monday, April 21, 2008

It's My Wonderful Life

One of my favorite movies is "It's A Wonderful Life" with James Stewart. In the movie, George Bailey (James Stewart) discovers what life would have been like if he'd never been born, and how his existence affected so many other people. So, that started me thinking--what would life be like if I wasn't a writer? (Que "dream sequence" music)...

Instead of being (ahem) domestically challenged, my house would evolve into a sparkling masterpiece worthy to grace the pages of Martha Stewart Living. I would no longer see expressions of profound shock on my son's face when I revved up the vacuum. Ah, well.

I'd give an honest-to-goodness eight hours of work and harbor no feelings of bitterness when someone brings me (gasp!) WORK!! No longer would there be any head-rolling, finger-waving silently demanding, "You want me to do what?? Can't you see I'm creating here??"

My family and friends would have decidedly lighter pockets since they would have to actually pay a professional proofreader to review and edit their various essays, term papers, letters, etc. Not to mention, I would never have another phone conversation that started with these eight words, "Hey, since you're the writer in the family..."

My love life would be boring.

And finally...

I would probably end up diagnosed with schizophrenia wearing one of those stylish, white wrap-a-round jackets that tie in the back due to all the people running around in my head with no outlet!

So, like George Bailey, I've learned that though life isn't perfect, it sure is wonderful just the way it is. Now, if I could just figure out how to produce W-2's for all that proofreading I do...

3 comments:

Diane Richmond said...

I used to get up each morning, wipe down the bathroom, vacuum, pickup and then go to work. My house was always perfect, my mind was chaotic.

Now, we work out of our house. My house is often chaotic (not really, just in comparison to the anal compulsive person I was before), but my mind is calm. Having a creative outlet is not only healthy, it allows me to work out the things going through my mind in a constructive manner. I prefer my life as it is now.

One of my own personal heroes, humorist Erma Bombeck, upon finding out that she had cancer, talked about what she would do differently. Thankfully I am not sick but I try to adhere to her revised philosophy. Realize what is important and don't sweat the small stuff. Most times everything else falls in the second category.

Christy Reece said...

I don't know that my house would be cleaner if I didn't write, but I'd be a heck of a lot grumpier. Writing is a compulsion and getting all those thoughts down from all the characters in my head makes me saner. And nicer.

My husband can tell in an instant if I've had a good writing day or a bad one. Bless his heart!

And It's A Wonderful Life is one of my favorite movies too!

JoAnn said...

Well, I'm going to be honest. I can tell you right now that my house would not look any better if I wasn't a writer. I was not anywhere around when God was passing out the housekeeping gene. In fact, I was in the other line, where you-know-who was passing out the messy gene.