Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Inspiration

It is often said that you should write about what you know. What if that wasn't a recommendation, but a hard steadfast rule? If that was the case, anyone reading anything that I have written would be very bored. The things I know about are not very exciting. I am an average working woman, doing everyday things while trying to balance a career, family life and my outside interests.
I am considered to be pretty good at what I do for a living and consider myself a fairly competent mom. Fairly competent being defined as: the kids lived to reach adulthood. I enjoy my life even if it isn't always exciting, but it definitely not the fodder for an interesting novel.
So, as a storyteller I take the liberty of writing about things I dream of or imaginary situations my characters will face. I suspect other writers do this too so that they can create interesting stories. Somehow, I do not think that a cattle farmer's wife, living in Gadsden, previously experienced life as an FBI agent, but I could be wrong.
Thank goodness that we have the option to draw on our imagination and dreams to write books. Our material is restricted only by our imaginations.

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

Don't discount your life, Diane. Even though you may not have experienced the wild adventures of a CIA agent or Special Ops target, you've loved, you've been hurt, you've laughed, you've cried. And that's what our books are really about, aren't they? The emotions? All the other stuff is just research. :-)

(But I do understand. If someone wrote my biography right now, it would be filed under B for boring. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

Thank goodness we don't have to be an expert. For I'm one of those people that know a whole lot of nothing. I love movie and TV trivial. All I can say about researching my books is thank goodness for the internet.

Naima said...

I agree with JoAnn about drawing on our real life emotions and experiences. The situations may be different in our manuscripts, but the lows of rejections and a broken heart as well as the highs of first love are the same. Of course, thank God for the imagination because while it makes for good reading, I don't think I want to have a torrid love affair with a vampire in my real life. I hate being bitten! LOL!