Monday, March 24, 2008

Potholes, Speedbumps, Stop Signs and Merge

Recently I've hit them all. After I finished the second book in my trilogy, I started on the third book immediately. On page 75, I hit a pothole. It wasn't a big one. I had a synopsis, I knew where I was going. But it rattled me and detoured me for a few days.

Then, around page 150, I hit a massive speed bump. You know the ones when you're going much faster than you should be, so when you hit it, the top of your head bounces against the roof of your car. Ouch! I realized I didn't like the last 50 pages I had written. Uh oh, had to cut and save those pages in a new file...couldn't let them go!

Then I hit a stop sign. I had surgery. It was scheduled and I felt sure that after a couple of days, I'd be ready to write again. Sure I had to stay in bed, but my sweet husband had me all set up with my laptop, bunches of pillows and plenty of snacks. Somehow, probably because of the pain meds, concentration was almost impossible. Though I will admit that I did write one scene that I don't remember writing and it was actually pretty good. That one scene was pretty much it though. It's taken almost three weeks for me to feel even close to being ready to write coherently.

Today, coherent and feeling much better, my road sign was merge. Remember those 50 pages I cut? Well, I went back and read them. Ended up using at least 45 pages, merging them with other pages I had written. So glad I didn't hit that delete!

Tomorrow, I'm hopeful that now the merging is over, I'm on a smooth, four lane highway, the wind is at my back, the road is dry and the sign ahead of me reads, No exits or rest stops for the next 250 miles...uh pages.

What have your roads signs been reading lately?

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

Ooh, I hope you're driving a Mustang convertible--sounds like a fun trip!

Like you, I can't bear to throw away my hard-earned words. I keep them in a Fragment File, and periodically, give them a peek. Sometimes I can use them, sometimes not. But I like having them handy.

:-)

So glad you're feeling better. We missed you Saturday!

MaryF said...

I like those ideas of having a fragment file...very good.

Sorry to hear about your surgery! Hang in there. :)

Naima said...

My road sign has been "Stop". You know, the huge one that needs two poles. It doesn't simply say "Stop". It screams STOP!!! But, after a rough week writing wise, I'm getting back on track. I hope you feel better soon and you were missed Saturday!
Get well soon!
Naima

Naima said...

My road sign has been "Stop". You know, the huge one that needs two poles. It doesn't simply say "Stop". It screams STOP!!! But, after a rough week writing wise, I'm getting back on track. I hope you feel better soon and you were missed Saturday!
Get well soon!
Naima