Saturday, March 08, 2008

Judging a Book by Its Cover Letter

Recently my daughter was job hunting, so anything I saw related to finding the perfect dream job caught my eye--including this article about writing cover letters. As I read it, it hit me that all the tips could easily apply to writing a cover letter for submitting your ms to a publisher. Because in a lot of ways, you're applying for a job when you submit, right?

Here are the tips, with my thoughts in parentheses. The article goes into a lot more detail, so check it out.

1. Don't lose them with your first sentence. (Can you say "hook?" :-)
2. Do sell the meat. (To me, this is where you give them the "meat" of your story.)
3. Do demonstrate that you can write. (A given!)
4. Do illustrate the qualifications needed. (I would list writing creds here.)
5. Don't let careless mistakes torpedo you. (I know some people don't think this is important, but having typos in a cover letter or resume is like wearing a shirt or blouse with a big stain on it to an interview. You don't want anything to distract from your shining qualities.)
6. Do list contact info.

If you have any tips for writing a great cover letter, please share them!

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

Write the cover letter like you're telling a friendly acquaintance about yourself and your book. You'll be surprised how it will turn out.