Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chances are...

I woke up yesterday morning and realized I had made a terrible mistake on the requested partial I recently submitted to an agent. Well, it wasn't really terrible, but it was, without a doubt, a mistake. My heart sank, and I was tempted to wallow in self-pity.

But I didn't. Because I knew it wasn't my last chance to get published; that I would be pitching this book to another agent soon at Silken Sands.

And that made me realize that there is never a last chance. There is always another agent to query, another publisher to submit to, another story to write.

There is never a last chance.

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I know how you feel. After I had printed out my completed manuscript for an editor, I realized I had left off my name next to the title. No way could I afford to reprint. So I stuck it in the envelope anyway and hoped there wouldn't be another story at their offices with the same name.

Such a little thing, but I worried that it would look unprofessional. Silly, I know.

Christy Reece said...

That's a great attitude, JoAnn, and so true. There's always another chance. Thank goodness, since I've made some whopper mistakes.

But don't discount this chance! We're all human. Editors and agents know this. I'll bet they get stuff in with much bigger mistakes than what you did.