Saturday, February 02, 2008

What Kicks Your Pants?

A while back, I made a decision to be a writer. Not "in a few years," not "when I'm published," not "someday."

But I knew I needed a swift boot to the backside to get me moving. Last year, I entered contests, and that was great. Only problem: The first 25 pages of my manuscript are absolutely pristene. The remaining 225 pages suck.

So I'm trying something different this year and ramping it up a couple of notches. I've joined the our chapter's Pot-O-Magic Challenge (see Barb Curry for more info if you want to join us!), I'm taking online classes, and I'm considering a personal pledge of "100/100" (100 words a day for 100 days).

Do you need a kick in the pants? What would do the trick?

2 comments:

Christy Reece said...

JoAnn, that's what I did last year, online classes and a commitment to myself to write. I also decided to write a story I would want to read. Not for the market, but for me. And funnily enough, that's the one that sold.

I think we all need a kick in the pants every once in a while.

MaryF said...

I always need a kick in the Pants...
LOL