Friday, February 15, 2008

Excuse me!

The past couple of years I've noticed that more and more people are forgetting one of the most simple rules of email. Clip the email they're replying to.

Hey it's the polite thing to do. People will appreciate it. Especially those on loops that receive their email by digest (all the messages for a certain stretch of time on a mail loop, e.g., YAHOO loops is sent in one email).

What should you do? You can simply cut and paste into a new email. To cut, use CTRL X. Highlight the section you're responding to by clicking on space before the first word, hold down the left mouse button and "drag" the cursor over the words until you're at the end of the word or sentence. Release the left mouse button. Then hold down the button with "CTRL" on it and press the X. Or you can copy by holding down CTRL and pressing C. Then to paste, hold down the CTRL button and press V. Simple.

What about you? Do you have an email pet peeve? And don't say people fussing about those that won't cut and paste. LOL!

3 comments:

Moira Rogers said...

You just named mine! Or on large loops, when people have multiple responses to the same thread, but they respond to them one at a time. It makes so much more sense for me to combine your replies into one e-mail so you don't send 15 or 20 in a row.

I just am so used to clipping e-mails, I have a hard time imagining not doing it!

JoAnn said...

Leaving the subject line blank!

A related thought: I heard a piece on NPR about tagging "NRN" (no reply neccessary) onto the end of the subject line. Don't know how widespread it is or will be come, but sounds like a good idea to me!

Christy Reece said...

I think my biggest pet peeves are when people have ongoing personal discussions but keep it on the loop instead of sending an email to that individual. Or they get angry about something and fire off an email, then another person gets angry and fires off another one. And the battle begins. When stuff like that starts happening on a loop I'm on, I immediately put it on digest.