Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A Thirst for Knowledge

Needless to say, most writers -- me included -- depend heavily on the Internet for their research. But when I’m in a bookstore, and especially when I’m browsing the bargain racks, I just can’t resist buying those great, picture-heavy titles on a wide variety of subjects: lighthouses on the Pacific Coast, the history of the Corvette, or massage techniques. Of course, I may or may not ever use these in my writing.

But someday, if I need to have my heroine speed along the highway in her vintage Corvette to give her lover a sensuous massage in a secluded lighthouse, I’ve got the info.

What’s on your bookshelf? Do you have any unusual reference books?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I've got history books galore, many are beautiful works of art. My most unusual reference (nothing to do with history or private eye work) is US ARMY SURVIVAL MANUAL FM21-76.

Hey, you never know when my hero or heroine will need to survive out in outback of nowhere. :-)

MaryF said...

OH, I just love books. I have one like that Carla, and I have ones on firearms (dissasembling of), and poisons (a new one).
*sigh* I'm an addict...