Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The New Year brings New Goals

I've toasted in the New Year. I've cleaned my house. Now its time for the BIG things this year.
The first one...FINISH the story.

First, what is the story? How do you get the idea? For me, it started with a dream. (I think I've mentioned before I have some pretty nifty dreams.) Still, an idea, or even a dream is just a start. Its the rest of the story that must be told that's the hard part.

I've found that I have to have a rough plot, a map ,so to speak, of where I am going. I've tried winging it and it doesn't get anywhere, just very clean floors. (Yes, I suffer from procrastination at times....) I really envy those that can write a story on just a glimmer of an idea. Do you do that?

So far so good, I've gotten farther in the last week than I have in the last two months. So my questions for you this time are:
  • Where did you get the idea for a your current story?
  • How do you write? Plot or wing it?
  • How are you going to achieve this goal?

I am going to keep on at it everyday, even if it is a just a sentence or two. That's better than what it was before...nothing.

The New Year is here, so are my new goals! :)

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

That's great news, Mary. I'm so glad that you're moving along with the story.

My current story came from a song. Refer to my blog below called "Music to My Ears".

I write a synopsis (usually for a contest) and then I kinda follow it. So I guess I do both.

Keep writing. So simple but, oh, so hard.

MaryF said...

Isn't that the truth! LOL. I hope one day it will flow...

MaryF said...

My WIP came from reading Virgin River and watching Gilmore Girls and being frustrated writing/plotting RS. It's a small town story and I am SO winging it! My next book, though, I'll have to plot.....