Saturday, January 12, 2008

How Fast is Fast?

In a career conversation with a friend the other day, she commented that I'm a fast writer. Somehow, my agent and editor have the idea I'm fast too. I'm not sure how this rumor got started, but I'm not sure it's true. After all, what exactly does it mean to be a fast writer?

There are some very prolific writers who can produce a great book seemingly every other month. And then there are others who only have one release a year. Does one write faster than the other? Maybe, but I'm not sure.

I'm fortunate to be able to write full time. But that means I sit at my desk for hours. Other authors have full time jobs outside of writing, and only write when they have a spare minute. Math was never my strong suit, but even I can figure out that a person who writes full time should be able to write a whole lot more than a person who has several other responsibilities. Some days, I only produce five pages in those 12 plus hours I sat at my desk. I don't think that's very fast.

Fast is a relative term. When I'm sitting, staring at a blank screen for hours, nothing seems fast!

So what do you think? What's a fast writer to you? Are you one? If so, feel free to brag.

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I believe a fast writer is someone that can finish the first draft in six to twelve weeks or less.

So far my shortest time is six months, though as first I thought I would improve with my latest. But hey, you never know. If I finish by the end of this month I would've written one in three months. Of course, this is the shortest one I've written too.

MaryF said...

I move slower than pond water.

I have 40 painful pages completed and oh, about another 360 to go.

LOL