Thursday, January 24, 2008

How Far Would You Go?

Last night, a new television show came on. I don't watch a lot of prime time television, and even less now with the writer's strike. However, this particular show came on right after American Idol. I'd seen the advertisements and though a part of me felt it was distasteful in the extreme, another part of me couldn't resist seeing what it was all about.

Previously interviewed guests have answered numerous questions while hooked up to a lie detector. Out of those questions, twenty-one questions are selected and asked in front of not only a live audience and millions of people watching at home, but also family members and friends have been brought in to sit on a couch and watch their loved ones squirm.

I'll admit, I laughed a couple of times because it was amazing what people will share. And it's not as if the questions come as a shock to them since they've answered them before. But as the money got higher, so did the insensitivity of the questions. By the time the show was over, I was squirming in my chair and wincing along with the person being questioned.

I've always thought of myself as an honest person, and if questioned about something, I'll tell the truth. But how far would I go? Would I tell the truth, knowing it could hurt a loved one, ruin a relationship, lose a friend, just for cash? I don't think I would. Perhaps people believe relationships should be strong enough to handle this kind of truth, and while that may be correct, the truth can often hurt. Is the cash worth the pain?

What about you? Would you tell the truth, even if it hurt someone you cared about, just for money?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! Like anyone would answer that truthfully! :-)

I'm willing to give it a stab...

Considering what I've heard about the show and seen on the previews, I would have to say no. It would be partly because I wouldn't want to face the person later. And I have my pride and would hate to admit I'm just as evil as some people think I am.

LOL!

MaryF said...

I'll keep my secrets thank you. (ok, so I don't have many...or any of import.) I still don't want to show my flaws, its like going to school naked...Ick.
:)