Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Gulp! You Said What?

“Oooh, nooo! “ Thump! Humpf!

What does that read like? Like someone tripped? Lately I’ve been collecting sounds for writing. Yep, you read it right. There has been a time or two where my hero or heroine had heard or made a sound and I needed a word for the sound instead of saying, “They heard someone fall,” or “He fell to his knees in pain.” Or I want my characters say a word that’s really not a word, if you know what I mean.

Plus look at how many O’s it takes to make it sound like a longer fall. The same can be said for someone being frightened. If you type “eek!” first of all you have to place an exclamation after the word, otherwise it doesn’t work. Then if you use more than two E’s, you make it sound like the person is more frightened . Like, “Eeeek! A mouse!”

Another sound that’s up for debate is the sound of pleasure. No! Get your mind out of the gutter. I’m talking about the sound you made the last time someone gave you a present you hadn’t expected but really liked. You tear the wrapping off and what do you say? Ooooo!
Now, why does such a good sound look so boring? That could sound like a bunch of O’s that they are or sound more like the word who but rounder.

Of course the opposite sound is eww! What about yuck? Or phew! Another one I’ve seen a lot lately is yelck! Or how about phooey. Or you smell something bad. Pheeew! The more E’s, the worst the smell.

I know there are more out there I’m not thinking of or have forgotten. What do you have?

2 comments:

Christy Reece said...

Ka-Thud...The sound the heel of my hand makes against my forehead when I can't write the scene the way I see it.

Ker-Plunk...The sound of Alka Seltzer plopping into a glass of water.

Squeeeeeeee...The sound my old office chair made when I turned around in it.

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! You're such a nut! How about wheeee! That's when I lift my feet and go round and round in my desk chair. :-)