Thursday, January 03, 2008

Finding Time to Read

The books for RWA's Rita contest will be shipped the middle of this month. Received an email today verifying my address. It's the one time of the year these days that I read for hours on end. It's almost like a Christmas present. We select categories, but it's always exciting to see what books/authors I get. Immerse myself in other worlds is wonderful!

I can't remember the last book I read. Julie Garwood's new historical, Shadow Music, is sitting here on my desk along with Kelly St. John's To Catch A Cheat. The first disk of Season 1 of The Tudors is in the living room. (I know Carla is jealous of that. -g-)

Before I started writing myself, I spent hours upon hours reading. Nowadays, I'm on the computer reading email or writing for a blog. A million other things than my participating in my love of reading.

So, how do you work in reading between the job, husband, kids, and writing? What was the last great book you read?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Before the kids grew up, I read in the car waiting for music lessons or ball practice to be over. I read in doctor offices, between 9 (kids' bedtime) and midnight, while they spent the night with friends, and after we cleaned house on Saturday (sitting outside watching them play).

Now I can read more often and longer, but rather write. So I read sitting in the car the 15 minutes outside the office before work, during lunch, in the bathroom, in the tub, etc., anytime I'm not writing.

Not sure if you could call it a great book, but the most recent one I enjoyed tremendously is SHADOWS ON THE SOUL by Jenna Black. I'm planning to order her backlist on Amazon this weekend.

MaryF said...

I read every night before bed, and last weekend, I spent all day one day reading. I wish I had more time, though- my TBR is over 200 and I have more books in 2008 I must have ;)

The last GREAT book I read was With This Ring by Lee McKenzie, a Harlequin American.