Friday, December 07, 2007

Visions of Neatly Stacked Sugar Plums

I have a confession to make. I'm a disorganized person. Now for those of you who know me well, you're snickering, rolling your eyes and thinking, "Yeah, like I didn't already know that." There may be some I've fooled. It's getting close to the end of the year and I feel the need to confess. I'm a mess. My office is a mess. My house is a mess, but that's a different blog for another day.

Right now, when I go to my word documents, I have 12 different files for my first book. Some are different versions, some are notes I've made on possible changes, there's a synopsis, possibly several. You get the idea. And that's just for one book on my computer.

I also have a file cabinet filled with old contest scores, rejections, story ideas, marketing, etc. It's also a chaotic mess.

So why am I telling you this? Because I need to hear from those who are organized, who have it together. Who only have one version of each item and don't feel the need to create a new file every time there's a new idea for your story.

I also need to hear from those who are in the same position I am...but that's just because I don't want to be the only one who's this disorganized.

What are your tips and ideas for keeping your writing life organized? What secrets can you share about organizing your computer files or paper files? It's coming up on the new year and I really want to de-clutter my writing life! Can you help?

7 comments:

JoAnn said...

My name is JoAnn, and I am a messaholic.

I can't help you, Christy, but I can say with heart-felt empathy "I UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!" I'm in the same boat. I will be watching this space carefully to glean some help for myself!

Thanks for posting!

Christy Reece said...

Thanks, JoAnn. It helps to know I'm not alone! It was very brave of you to come out in the open and declare yourself. Maybe we can start a club. /:

Gaill, QofC said...

Let me join! I wanna join! My name is Gaill, and I am so disorganized I own at least 25 pair of scissors and at least 50 flashlights because I can never find either when I need one of them! Oh, and the little seam ripper. I know I have purchased at least 5 this year, and couldn't tell you where one might be found. I am just as disorganized in my writing. I am the Queen of Chaos!

JoAnn said...

And measuring tapes!!! Where are all the damn measuring tapes? Forget it, I'll just go buy one.

Me too!

Christy Reece said...

Come join the club, Gaill!

I have to admit I don't have a seam ripper and try very hard to stay away from measuring tapes since they tend to depress me. But I do know where the flashlight and scissors are. Those are things my husband often uses and he has the irritatingly weird habit of putting things back where he got them.

Deborah Matthews said...

Well, gee, ya'll aren't a lot of help. I have the same problem and have found no cure.

MaryF said...

You know what I have? About fifty rolls of tape, because I can NEVER find the damn..er..dratted thing when I need it. That and hair brushes....

*sigh*