Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The One You Remember

It's my turn to blog and I'm in the middle of revisions, which so far has been akin to chiseling granite with a plastic spoon. Since I'm short on time, as are most folks this time of year, I thought it'd be fun to share a Christmas gift memory.

What is that one gift you received that you'll never forget. The one that made you laugh, cry or in my case, shake your head and say, "What were you thinking?"

My memorable gift was my first married Christmas. My husband proudly presented me with....drum roll please...an ironing board! Yes, I know he meant well...at least that's what he said and twenty years later, I can look back on that night and laugh. My sense of humor wasn't as well defined then.

What about you? And to keep this writerly, have you ever used this Christmas memory or any others in your writing?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Haven't used any Christmas memories in my book as of yet.

One of my favorite memories is the year I received a manual typwriter from Santa Claus. Strange, isn't it? Maybe a sign of what was to come?

And that's over the 1966 LeMans I received at Christmas in 1972. It looked like this http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/pon_0510_1966_pontiac_lemans/index.html except silver with black vinyl top. LOL!

JoAnn said...

One year a long time ago, during conversation around the Thanksgiving table, I casually mentioned (or so I thought) that I needed an umbrella. I had borrowed my (then extremely unstable) boss's umbrella one day when she wasn't there. She went crazy when she found out I had borrowed it.

At Christmas, when I opened my first gift from my parents, there was a very nice golf umbrella. Then I opened another, and there was a very nice folding umbrella. Then in the next package -- you guessed it -- an umbrella. Then I opened the gift from my brother and sister-in-law. An umbrella. And one from my neice. Umbrella again. Apparently, during Thanksgiving, I had gone on and on and ON about how if I didn't get my own umbrella, my boss would fire me. They didn't want me to lose my job.

I think I still have one of those umbrellas.

:-)