Sunday, December 09, 2007

Not My Turn But I Had To Tell Someone!

I know it's not my turn to blog, but I had to tell someone...I finally watched Pride and Prejudice!! And I LOVED IT!

Boy, oh, boy, I'm such a snob. I thought I would be bored out of my skull. Though I normally love period pieces, I was afraid the girl would die in the end or wouldn't get the guy or some other horrible ending I've seen in other "classic" period films.

Wow, was I wrong. That was so...dare I say it...romantic!!! Now I won't promise to read the book and if the book is ten times better, I still not sure I want to give it a go. My stack of TBR is way too big to add another.
Ooookaaaay, if you insist, but maybe next year.

Now the verison I have is from 2005 with Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen. I heard the 1995 verison with Colin Firth is better and what did I do today when I took the day off and went Christmas shopping? Yep! I bought the older verison! LOL! Early Christmas present to myself.
Hopefully I can watch it soon and compare the two. I'll let you know my opinion.

What about you? Seen it? Love it? Which verison?

5 comments:

Deborah Matthews said...

Gee, how did I miss this one? My favorite movie! The Colin Firth version is my favorite. The new Keira Knightly version was P&P on speed.

jennifer echols said...

P&P is the best book ever written imho. MUCH better than either of these wonderful movie versions. Coming in a very close second is Emma the book, with Emma the movie with Gwynneth Paltrow and *sigh* Jeremy Northam also very good.

Sense & Sensibility is also terrific, and the movie is too. Persuasion is good and so is the arthouse movie. Mansfield Park is good and so is the indy movie. You can tell I'm a pretty big Jane Austen fan. The only book I'm not fond of is Northanger Abbey, and it hasn't been made into a recent movie that I know of, for good reason.

I just heard that Gillian Anderson (X-Files) is the new host of Masterpiece Theater on PBS, and they're doing all six Austen books in the near future. Be still my heart!

As for the Keira vs. Colin movie versions of P&P...I just don't like Colin. I didn't like him in Bridget Jones's Diary either. He is very hairy.

MaryF said...

Pride and Prejudice...An OUTSTANDING movie and book. *sigh* I agree with you Jennifer about it being one of the best books ever. But, I tend to differ about Colin Firth, I kinda liked him in the movie. But, then again I would've preferred Alan Rickman.....

Ah well. I am going to watch Emma this week, I can hardly wait. I also have the Persuasion movie too. Life is good. And since I know PBS is going to be showing these movies...Ahhh. How great it is.

jennifer echols said...

Oooh oooh Alan Rickman!!!!!!!

MaryF said...

I love both. I resisted seeing the newer, shorter one, then went out and bought it as soon as I saw it. Then loaned it to my mother and never saw it again.....