Saturday, December 29, 2007

Music To My Ears


We’ve already talked about music and writing on this blog, especially music we listen to while writing. I’ve heard many say they only listen to instrumentals, that the words interfere with what they’re writing or they lose track of their thoughts.

Me, being me, I listen to all kinds. This is based on my mood and the scene I’m writing. I know that others must feel like I do as a few authors have CDs available to go with their books, kinda like soundtracks for movies. Of course, the main reason I listen to music, correct that, loud music is my desk sits between the dining room and living room. No doors. No way to silence the never ending thumping of the TV. So music is important to help me concentrate. Thankfully I grew up during the age of ear numbing rock and roll. In high school I possessed some decent headphones, thus made my mom happy, and I certainly had the music loud enough to cross my eyes. What did you say? Surprised I can still leer? Heh? Oh! HEAR! Yeah, me too.

Okay now I’ll get to the real point of my blog. I’ve found that music actually inspires me to be romantic and creative.

When it comes to the creative part, take my latest book, THE PREACHER’S SON. I got the idea from listening to LeAnn Rimes’s "I Probably Wouldn’t Be This Way." I especially loved the first and last lines of the song. Click here to listen to the song. The video could be better, but, hey, I’m not the director. The song made me think about some of my favorite movies like Long, Hot Summer with (1958) Paul Newman and Joanne Woodard. Heck, I liked the story so much, I even liked the one with (1985) Don Johnson and Cybill Shepherd. Love the misunderstood bad boy stories.

During one of my forays into listening to the oldies, I played Eric Clapton’s "I Shot The Sheriff." Click here to listen to it. Then decided that would be great for the next book.Yep. My heroine will shoot the sheriff (hero) but will be a suspect in killing the deputy. This one and the next one will be set in the same town as THE PREACHER’S SON. I hope to bring in the flavor of the old movie Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (also 1958 - yes, I do enjoy modern movies too) with Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman. Man! Mr. Newman had some great roles. Anyway, I love the family dynamics in both of the movies. Being a fourth (possibly more) generation Southerner, I love to write about the different skeletons in the closet stories.

Now you’re wondering why I need inspiration to be romantic, considering I love to read romances and write them, plus I AM A WOMAN. LOL! Because, I’m really not a romantic type person. My husband is more romantic. He’s the one that bought me a congratulation card when I received my first honorable mention. He’s the one that suggested we stay at a bed and breakfast in St. Augustine (Loved it! Been there two more times since!).

Well, when I’m writing those special love scenes, I have to have the right music. You know to make sure the hero doesn’t rush and heroine doesn’t rush him. Anything by Chris Isaak usually does it. Recently, I purchased "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues for my Ipod. Goodness! I had forgotten how romantic that song was. It was mine and Steve's song as teenagers. Just think, any rock song that uses an orchestra and has lyrics like below is awesome. Click here to hear the song.

And I love you,
Yes, I love you,
Oh, how, I love you.
Oh, how, I love you.

I know you were beginning to wonder what in the world is her question. What’s the most romantic song (note I said song, so that means it has words) you've ever heard? Be sure to give title and artist so we can listen to it on YouTube.

9 comments:

JoAnn said...

Oh, man -- great topic, Carla!

Okay. "For Emily Wherever I May Find Her" by Simon and Garfunkel and "Just Like a Woman" by Bob Dylan were absolutely my favorites when I was young and single.

And here's a kind of weird one: "How to Handle a Woman" from Camelot.

I may post again if I think of more!

Carla Swafford said...

I checked out Camelot's song. You're a strange woman, JoAnn. LOL! Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGLYKJHpRbU (you'll have to copy and paste).

For S&G's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2dWKmhrnls

For Bob's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueGuzmotwaI

I didn't remember the S&G one, but I remember Bob's.

Christy Reece said...

Had to chime in on Camelot, my all time favorite muscial. The song, If Every I Should Leave You, still brings me to tears.

And then there's All I Ask of You from Phantom of the Opera. There's just something so sexy about a man holding the woman he loves in his arms as he sings to her. Of course, it helps if he has a good voice.

My husband bought me a Barry White CD for our anniversary. He said he thought it might help me when I'm writing love scenes. I haven't had to write one in a while, but I'll definitely listen to it when the time comes.

Oh, and Knights in White Satin. Wow, does that bring back some wonderful memories.

Christy Reece said...

Oops! I meant Nights in White Satin. Must have been thinking of the historical version. Giggle.

Carla Swafford said...

Couldn't find the Camelot song, but I did Phantom's. No surprise. I agree, Christy. If the guy could sing, and you were alone with him, yeah, I believe it could be so sexy.

Here's the link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2GuK0kshNo

Liked the Knight in White Satin. Always had a thing for guys in armor. LOL! I'm picturing him on the satin. Interesting. :-)

Barb said...

Carla, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this blog was "Grease 2". You're shocked, right?!?! LOL...That is just a great movie for the songs as well as storyline - no matter what people say ;-)

Barb

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, yeah, you're so right. Okay, I my favorite song/scene (though there are many), here's the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNDbS3ec9W4

I wish the video was clearer, but the kiss gives you the idea. But Maxwell in leather...oh, my goodness!

MaryF said...

The all time sexiest song, to me, is Black by Pearl Jam. YUM. One by U2. Come Undone by Duran Duran.

Carla Swafford said...

Yum is right, Mary. Though Pearl Jam's is a sad song.

Here's the link to Pearl Jam's...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoG897LvAAI


And Duran Duran's...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFbDhbl3QPY