Monday, December 03, 2007

Making a Long Trip Even Longer

Warning: This is nothing more than a rant -- I freely admit it.

I have been awake for almost 24 solid hours, and I am just a tad grumpy. Here’s my question: Why can’t people just be honest? My daughter and I sat in JFK airport for five hours today waiting for our flight to Atlanta. Now I understand that most of the time, flight delays are unavoidable and have nothing at all to do with the people that keep airplanes flying. But this one did. And we kept getting the same story over and over: “We’ve been waiting on your crew. They’re all here now, and just as soon as they get the plane ready, we’ll begin boarding, so don’t leave the gate area.” And then they’d back the flight up another 20 minutes. Again. And again. And again. Twenty minutes turned into five hours slowly and painfully.

And back to the question at hand: Why couldn’t they just say “We don’t know when your flight will board. Go to the bar, kick back with a cold one, and we’ll let you know when it’s time to go.”

Is that too much to ask?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Hospital's are the same way. I say in the waiting room for four hours expecting to hear how my daughter's surgery went (okay-it corrected a broken nose from when she played ball). Why couldn't they say, "Oh, the doctor overslept and won't start on your daughter for two more hours." Noooo! Then they wouldn't be so important. People waiting for you makes you important. Did you know that? :-)

JoAnn said...

Yes!!! Hospitals too!!! Oh, I remember when my parents were so sick -- those waiting times are just nightmarish.

Glad your daughter's okay and that's behind you.