Saturday, December 15, 2007

Just Exactly How Hard Is It to Write?

You've probably heard of Jean-Dominque Bauby, the former editor of Elle magazine.

I hadn't until I glanced at a CNN.com article about a man who is completely paralyzed except for his eyes. He communicates by answering yes and no questions; he looks up for yes, down for no. I found the article mildly interesting, and then I saw these sentences: "Former Elle magazine editor Jean-Dominque Bauby suffered from the same syndrome and was also able to communicate using only one eye. He wrote about the horror of having locked-in syndrome in his book "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," which was made into a film released November 30.
Bauby's writing was an exceedingly slow process. He dictated the book by blinking his left eye when the correct letter was presented to him."

That last sentence stunned me: "He dictated the book by blinking his left eye when the correct letter was presented to him."

Holy you-know-what.

If that's not inspiration, I don't know what is. I have a new word taped above my workspace: BLINK.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/12/14/locked.in/index.html

3 comments:

Christy Reece said...

Wow! I'm printing this blog out and putting it over my desk to remind me I don't know what real writing difficulties are.

Thanks for posting, JoAnn!

MaryF said...

Yes, things could always be much, much, worse.

It was a sobering but wonderful truth, and I also will be utilizing this as a motivator.

I certainly have no excuses..ever.

Thanks JoAnn!

Carla Swafford said...

Thank you, Good Lord, for my health.