Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What’s So Funny?

There are two kinds of writing that absolutely baffle me. One is mystery -- I just don’t think I’m smart enough for that -- and the other is comedy. I mean, laugh-out-loud funny stuff. I can write “amusing” and “humorous” and occasionally my words will elicit a giggle. But I would love to be the kind of author that sends readers into fits of uncontrollable laughter.

So how do they do it? I want to know so I bought The Comic Toolbox: How to Be Funny Even If You’re Not by John Vorhaus. Seems like a good start. I’ll keep you posted.

What books have you read that made you laugh out loud?

2 comments:

Christy Reece said...

I'm not a funny writer either, JoAnn. Moments of funny, but sure would have trouble carrying funny all the way to the end of a book.

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is laugh out loud funny. Don't know how she does it, but she's definitely mastered the art.

Carla Swafford said...

Holly Jacobs and her book, LOST AND FOUND. Check out her website. http://www.hollyjacobs.com/FL.htm
You might still find a copy on Amazon.com.

She told me how her editor said something along the lines that a dead body wasn't funny. To Holly that was a challenge and she wrote LOST AND FOUND, a book about a dead body that keeps appearing and disappearing. I believe I laughed out loud a couple times. I do know I giggled all the way through it.