Thursday, November 29, 2007

Whatever Happened to "You're Welcome"?

The evolution of our language is fascinating. Words we used a century ago have shifted, shortened, changed meaning or become extinct. I'm not sure why that is or what makes it happen.

The other day I went into a bank. A young man, on his way out, held the door open for me. I thanked him and he responded with, "No worries." I guess that a derivation of, "No problem." But really, what happened to the good old fashioned, "You're welcome"?

I'm a child of the seventies and clearly remember saying, "groovy" or "cool" to a multitude of things. I still use cool, but it's been years since I found anything groovy. When I worked in the corporate world, seemingly every year, a new buzz word would make the rounds. In every meeting, that "word" was used numerous times. I remember working really hard not to use them. Ah yes, I'm a word rebel.

I guess new words or phrases reflect progress and a changing world, but sometimes I miss the old fashioned ones.

What about you? What words do you say that are no longer in? What are some new words or phrases you hear out there that are catching on? I may need to use them in a book, so please share if you know any. I hate to get behind!

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

With two college-age kids, I am constantly ridiculed/lectured/tolerated concerning the words I use. My current discussion with 19-year-old is the appropriate usage of the word "booyah." I'm still not sure I get it...

When I was in Los Angeles on business about 12 years ago, I was valet parking the car. I said to the attendent "I need a receipt for that." His reply? "Totally."

I do find myself using "whatev". It makes my daughters laugh. :-)

Christy Reece said...

I've never heard "booyah" before, but I like the sound of it. If you find out what it means, let me know!