Monday, November 26, 2007

An Irish Thanksgiving

I really thought I had escaped Thanksgiving this year. My oldest daughter and I planned a trip to Ireland to visit my youngest daughter, Kate, and decided to fly on Thanksgiving Day. My secret plan to stay out of the kitchen had succeeded. But two days before we left, Kate e-mailed me from Ireland and asked if we could have Thanksgiving on Friday after her sister and I arrived. All her college friends -- Irish, English, Italian, American, Canadian -- wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday because they had classes all day on Thursday. And...would I bring a can of pumpkin and make a pumpkin pie? And some cornbread to make some dressing? And, if there's any way I could bring a turkey--

So I checked two suitcases at the airport. One with my clothes; the other packed with cans of pumpkin, cans of turkey broth, ginger, cinnamon, poultry seasoning, nutmeg, condensed milk, a slab of homemade cornbread, and treats for Kate that she can't get here: Oreos, Jif peanut butter, Cheezits, muffin mix. On top of all the groceries, I left a note for the TSA inspector that said "I am going to Ireland to make my daughter Thanksgiving dinner, which is why I have a bag full of groceries. Happy Thanksgiving!"

I don't know if the inspector had a nice Turkey Day or not. But on Friday, while everyone else was either shopping at the mall or watching football, I was celebrating Thanksgiving in Castletroy, Limerick, Ireland, with 14 young people far away from their homes. Couldn't have asked for a better one.

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

My goodness, JoAnn, you have the best stories -- and they real kind too!

I agree that's the way to spend Thanksgiving. Being thankful for a sweet and generous child that knows mom's a push over! LOL! Love it.

All loving moms are push overs. Me included.

MaryF said...

Oh! What a wonderful Thanksgiving--in Ireland surrounded by the joy of sharing with others.

I've traveled far and abroad, and it touched me, that you could go and share this holiday with your daughter.

Now granted, I will shamelessly say, that I am envious too...I've always wanted to go to Ireland. Pray, do you need a bag carrier when you take your next trip? (I volunteer~!)

JoAnn said...

Ireland is incredible, Mary -- you need to go. I hadn't planned to make the trip over this year (especially with the dollar/euro exchange rate -- GAG!) but my oldest daughter really wanted to go, and what the heck, a few thou from our retirement fund won't be missed, right? We're having a fabulous time -- sadly, I'll miss the SM Xmas party, but I'll lift a pint in a toast to Southern Magic!