Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I Called This One In

The other day I was reading a book that the author wrote the contemporary heroine dialed the number on a borrowed cell phone. I don’t know about you (as my mind works completely different than others I’ve found), but the word "dial" jumped out at me. Who dials phones nowadays? All mobile phones I’ve seen and land lines too, do not have a rotary dial. You know, those old-fashioned phones you placed your finger into the round slot and pulled counter-clockwise with your finger to the far right side of the dial for each number you were dialing? It took so long to dial a telephone number if it had a lot of eights and nines. I doubt my youngest would even know how to call someone on a phone like that.

Hopefully I’ll write punched, or something similar, whenever my heroine makes a call.
I've come across a few others that jump off the page and tell me the author's age but presently can't think of them.
What about you? What books have you read lately that pinpoints the author's age?

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Carla, I had to laugh! When my daughter was about 10 years old (around 1995), we were at the public swimming pool, and for some reason, she was dying to call a friend. I pointed across the pool and said "Look, there's a pay phone over there. Go call her if you have to." She took off, and I followed at a slower pace. As I approached from the side and saw her staring at the phone, I said "What's the matter?" She said "I don't know WHAT this is! How do you use it?" Of course, it was a rotary dial phone. Boy did I feel old!!!!

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! Too funny!

Every once in a while I'll hear someone my age say something like "I'm going to buy their latest record." And we know they don't make those big round vinyl things anymore. :-)