Saturday, November 17, 2007

Acts of Kindness

I love the concept of paying it forward. There's a commercial, I think it's for an insurance company, showing people observing a kind act, and then when an opportunity arises, those people perform an act of kindness for someone else.

This is an ancient, biblical concept. The ethic of reciprocity or the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," is at the very foundation of our humanity.

So what does this have to do with writing? For an organization such as RWA, in a word, everything. From the people who work tirelessly on the national board, to the volunteers who perform a multitude of tasks most of us aren't even aware of, to local chapter members who coordinate and work at events and behind the scenes, all for the love of the organization. Most of these individuals will never be recognized for their efforts, but that's okay, because it's done with an attitude of selfless giving, and is one way to pay it forward.

I don't know what I would do without my local chapter. This year especially. My friends, Jenn and Kelley, have given me solid advice and patiently listened to my whines and woes. Carla and Marie have encouraged, cajoled, consoled and provided much needed comic relief. When I made my sale, other than my husband and mother, they were the first ones I shared the news with, because honestly, in various ways, each of them assisted me in selling.

At the end of every chapter meeting, I leave encouraged and motivated. Every attending member contributes to those positive feelings. Seeing our members post their good news on the loop thrills me, but it's the sincere congratulations from others that touches my heart.

Thanksgiving brings to mind all the numerous blessing in my life. RWA, and most especially my local chapter, are definitely on my list.

What's on your list?

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

My goodness, Christy, I couldn't stand thinking no one in our chapter had something to be thankful for during this season besides you. :-)

I'm thankful for the usual like family, health, and day job.

I'm also thankful I can read and write.

I'm thankful I have friends with the same desire as mine, to become published one day.

I'm thankful for friends (like you and Kelley) that are published, and willing and able to provide endless support and advice.

I'm thankful for unknown friends waiting in the shadows afraid to come out and say I'M A WRITER, but I will meet one day and hopefully encourage them to live their dream and maybe be a good example for them.