Wednesday, October 10, 2007

You Dug Up What?


I'm at a spot in my romantic suspense where my heroine had a dilemma. She needed to dig up a body without being caught. LOL! If you had told me twenty years ago, I would need to know something like that, I would've thought you're crazy.

Well, as we all know, you merely have to Google it and get all types of information you wanted to know and even some you could live without. Don't worry. I'm not about to go into the grizzly details--thankfully I have a strong stomach. But I will tell you in historicals, this can still be done with a shovel and pick. Though the arsenic might kill you later. Arsenic was used in embalming.

Nowadays, the problem is tied up with moving the near ton cement lid from the vault. Most of us have been to graveside services. We've seen the heavy lifting equipment discreetly to the side. While in the country, they often have it within feet of the grave -- just plain folk, they figure no big deal. :-)

Of course once you figure out how to get the lid off without people noticing, then you have another problem I won't get into.

Like I said, I've got it figured out but I promise my view of such things has changed. (When I was a kid, my Dad's family had reunions in the family cementery. Though I had nightmares about it as a kid, I'm now more comfortable visiting one.) I'm also thinking about being cremated when the time comes. At the next meeting, if you wish to know the details I found out, ask me.

How about you? What have you researched for a story and discovered that you didn't know half what you thought you did? You don't have to tell all, but something general like I did above.

3 comments:

Kelley St. John said...

I know this has happened to me several times, but right now the only thing I can think of is when I'm confused about plants. A lot of my books have Louisiana settings. In Louisiana, many plants bloom earlier than other parts of the South, simply because it's so hot.

Luckily, when I'm wondering whether the magnolias would actually be blooming at the time my heroine drives her car down the magnolia-lined drive, I can call my terrific Cajun family and ask.

I'm sure I could google it as well, but hey, it's another reason to chat with the family :)

Kelley

doglady said...

Researching Regency era foods has been a really educational experience. I have a recipe for eel pie. I will never use said recipe. The recipe SOUNDS as disgusting as its name. But it was a very popular dish in early 19th century England. Oh and Carla, I worked at a funeral home for almost a year. I know so much more than I EVER wanted to know about that whole process!

Carla Swafford said...

Pam, you'll have to tell me some of your stories and I tell you some of my history tidbits about nasty habits from that era. LOL!