Friday, October 05, 2007

A tisket, a tasket, I need help with my basket

It’s Southern Magic Reader’s Luncheon time again, and I’m in charge of putting together baskets of books to raffle off, with proceeds going to the chapter. That’s no problem.

My problem is that I also need to bring an author basket, and I don’t know what to put in it.

I am new to this whole basket thing. Kelley St. John had to explain to me how to put one together last year. I’m new to this whole author thing, too, so I have only two books to include. And both of them are young adult books--probably not the subgenre of choice for most of the luncheon attendees.

Other items I’m including:
- The $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble that I won as a door prize at the last Southern Magic meeting. Yes, I'm a re-gifter.
- A cloth book cover to hide your more risqué reading material in public. This problem isn’t limited to romance novels, of course. Last year at the beach I was reading Striptease by Carl Hiaasen (i.e., the movie with Demi Moore) when a man stopped and asked me, “Are you taking a class?”

And that’s it. I have other ideas like my critique partner’s historical, bath products, and hot chocolate, but none of that speaks to a theme that can be tied to a couple of teen romantic comedies. And if I made it a teen basket with a DVD of 10 Things I Hate About You and a CD of Now 37 (or whatever number Now they're on), I'm not sure the luncheon attendees would appreciate it.

Help me out here. If you won a basket, what would you love to find inside besides the author’s own books?

4 comments:

Christy Reece said...

Chocolate, bubble bath, Burt's Bee's products are nice. Tea bags and a tin of cookies. A cd of relaxing music. Scented candle. Oh and did I mention chocolate?

JoAnn said...

I have to echo Christy: Chocolate was the first thing that popped into my head! I would love to find some really special chocolate in a gift basket -- something I minght not be able to find at just any old grocery. I love writing instruments too.

Hope I win your basket! :-)

jennifer echols said...

Okay. Or I can put a purse in it so Larry wins it. Larry always wins the purses.

Deborah Matthews said...

I always include chocolate. Regifted or not, the gift certificate is great.

I've included scented lotion & body wash or bath beads type of stuff, picture frames, candles, heart-shaped boxes & potpourri bags, heart-shaped note pads, mugs & tea bags, lipstick cases.

Valentines is an excellent time to buy heart-shaped items to use. And after the 14th, the items will be on sale.