Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Popping the Question

Today is my 20th wedding anniversary. Yay us! My husband and I tend to reminisce each year about our dating life, wedding, honeymoon, etc. We laugh about how incredibly boring our wedding was, though we didn't know it at the time. Not until we watched the video a few weeks later did we realize that we throw a really dull wedding. Let me know if you're having trouble sleeping and I'll loan you the tape. It'll put you right out.

A few days ago, I was thinking about the way my husband proposed. It was sweet and unique, as is my husband. We went on a short spring trip to East Tennessee. A few months before, I had moved to another city two hundred miles away and our long distance relationship was wearing on both of us. I kind of expected a proposal on the trip, but days went by, and nothing happened. By the time we arrived in Greeneville and sat on top of a hill of his old family farm, I wasn't in the best of moods. It was cold, we were going home soon, and my left hand was naked! Out of the blue, he was on one knee, popping the question. I cried, and of course, said yes.

A little while later, he took me to a beautiful memorial park in downtown Greeneville. In front of the tomb of former President Andrew Johnson, he proposed again. Sounds odd, I know, but it's actually a beautiful place and at the time, it seemed the most normal thing in the world. Though, I have had trouble explaining it over the years. And before you ask, I said yes again.

What about you? Will you share how your significant other popped the question? If that hasn't happened yet, what's your dream proposal? And to keep this related to writing, have you ever used your own experience in your writing?

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

Not so romantic: We were leaving a party for a couple that had just gotten married on the spur of the moment, and he turned to me and said "When would be a convenient time for us to get married?"

BUT lest you think my husband is not a romantic, here's a recap of our first date. It was a Sunday afternoon, the day before my birthday. We were at an independent film showing at the art museum and ran into a friend who shares my birthday. We spoke very briefly, and then Gary said "Is tomorrow really your birthday?" I said yes and nothing more was said. After the film, we went to his house where he prepared an incredible dinner. We had a lovely evening, and I went home about midnight. When I opened my front door the next morning, there was an envelope stuck in the door. Inside was a gorgeous handmade card wishing me a happy birthday. I fell for him right then when I realized that he had brought me home at midnight, gone back to his apartment, made the card, brought it back to my apartment--in the pouring rain, mind you!--and slipped it in the door frame all without me knowing it; just so I'd have it when I woke up the next morning.

Still makes me smile. And 26 years later, I'm still crazy about him!

Christy Reece said...

JoAnn, I love this:

We were leaving a party for a couple that had just gotten married on the spur of the moment, and he turned to me and said "When would be a convenient time for us to get married?"

It sounds like something that would happen in a romance novel! And your first date story...so sweet and incredibly romantic.

Oh, I love a good love story! Thanks for sharing.

Carla Swafford said...

Mind you, my husband and I married young. I actually proposed to him. LOL! And it wasn't romantic. We were mainly talking about the future and I said something like "Let's get married." Considering this was 34-35 years ago, I can't really remember.

But the birthday card story of JoAnn's made me think about the time my husband and I were dating. We'd had a disagreement and the next morning he called to apologize in his own way. "Hey, Carla, go look on the siding glass doors."

So I opened the curtains to look at the doors and taped on the glass was the prettiest yellow tulip. I asked, "Where did you get the flower?" Horrified to think he plucked it out of his mother's beautiful flower garden.

He said, "Don't worry. I got it out the flower bed at Tarrant City Hall. If anyone knows about Tarrant in the '70s, city hall sat next to the police station (may still do - can't remember anymore).

Talk about bad boys. I married one and love writing about them. They have their own way of saying I'm sorry. LOL!

Carla Swafford said...

BTW, Happy Anniversary, Christy!

Christy Reece said...

Thanks, Carla! I love how your husband apologized with a stolen tulip. Sweet, romantic and funny.