Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An Excellent Movie Choice for Romance Lovers

A co-worker suggested The Outsider with Tim Daly as an excellent movie. She wouldn't tell me how it ended. I do NOT like bad endings, i.e. someone dies or boy and girl remain apart. But she assured me I wouldn't be disappointed. Of course, who could be disappointed with Tim Daly to look at? He looks quite nice without a shirt.

I can't believe there is a romance movie I hadn't heard of. It's based on the book by Penelope Williamson, which I haven't read. My coworker was right. A great movie. Sort of an "Angel and the Badman" with John Wayne and probably similar to "Witness", which I haven't seen.

Naomi Watts is an Amish/Quaker type of woman whose husband is murdered by the evil cattleman. Tim Daly is a wounded gunfighter that stumbles onto her farm and she takes him in. Of course, they fall in love and you know the relationship is impossible as they struggle with her religion and distaste of violence and his urge to protect the woman and child he has come to love.

Includes themes of good vs. evil, revenge and redemption. If you get a chance, catch the movie on tv or rent it. Just bring your tissues.

Any romance movies you'd recommend?

5 comments:

Christy Reece said...

One of my favorite romantic movies is American Dreamer. Not only is it hilarious and sweetly romantic, it's a premise writers can really identify with.

JoBeth Williams plays a housewife who wins a writing contest and the prize is a trip to Paris. Her husband won't go with her, so she goes alone. She ends up getting hit by a car at the start of her trip and wakes up believing she is the character in a book.

The movie is a hoot and I could watch it at least once a month and never get tired of seeing it. Unfortunately it's rarely on television, but you can rent or buy it.

I highly recommend it.

Carla Swafford said...

The romantic movie I love to watch is a teen movie. It's based on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU. So funny and romantic. What can I say...I'm young at heart.

Deborah Matthews said...

I love American Dream, too. I have it on DVD.

Debbie

Paula said...

It's not a conventional romance, but one movie I adore is CROSSING DELANCY, with Amy Irving and Peter Reigert. Amy plays Izzy, is a single Jewish woman who lives in New York and keep an eye on her feisty grandmother while working at a book store. Peter Reigert is Sam, the pickle man, who's thrown into her orbit when her grandmother and a pushy matchmaker bring them together in a hilariously uncomfortable first meeting. Izzy spends the movie trying to deny her feelings for Sam, because he's not the urbane, sophisticated intellectual she thinks she wants.

But love has a way of teaching people valuable lessons about what's on the surface and what lies beneath.

Paula

Deborah Matthews said...

Paula, It's been a while since I've seen CD, but it is a good movie.