Friday, October 12, 2007

Before The Big Crash

It's time for a new computer, and this time, I've decided to be proactive. I started writing in 2001, using an old computer we'd had since the Eisenhower days. Well, maybe not that long ago, but it was old. Then, one day it went bang-kapooie, and we got a brand spanking new one. Two years later, the new had worn off and it just looked like it had been spanked...a lot.

I am one of those unfortunate people who knows little about computers, which wouldn't be so bad, except I'm also one of those lazy people who don't want to know anything about computers. I just want it to do what I want it to do when I want it to do it. When the poor, abused machine finally crashed...you know the fatal error they never seem to be able to recover from...we had the hard drive replaced, with a warning that it wouldn't last long. That warning turned out to be too true.

About four years ago, for my birthday, my sweet husband gave me a laptop. I loved it...still do. But it's getting some age on it. The numbers and letters are disappearing off the key board, it's loaded with manuscripts, various versions of each manuscript, partial manuscripts, ideas for future revisions of various versions of each manuscript, and well, various versions of various versions. Basically, it's loaded.

My wedding anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks and in lieu of a little romantic getaway, I asked for another laptop. So I'm in the market and have no idea what I'm looking for, what I need, what I want or what the best one is.

Anyone have a suggestion for a laptop brand, and a good place to find one? Please, help me before another fatal error hits!

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I'm a Dell person myself. I've had a couple other brands, but so far I've been pleased with the customer service and middle of the road pricing.

With that said, let me talk out of the other side of my mouth. I'm looking at the Apple brands of lap tops.

The main reason I'm looking at them is something Kelley's husband said to LH. LH was telling us how she loved her Apple computer and how it doesn't have problems with viruses. Kelley's DH said the reason why was because the hackers tried to get more bang for their buck (as in causing problems for the more common PCs).

That got me to thinking

Besides Apple has the coolest commercials. LOL!

JoAnn said...

I will always be an Apple person at heart. I started out with Macs and use one at work.

However, I will say that I had tons of problems with internet connections on my last Mac. The Mac people kept trying to tell me it was AOL; AOL kept saying it was my Mac. You know the story!

So my PC-brained husband gave me a Dell Inspiron, and it was the SLOWEST COMPUTER IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE. We finally gave it to my daughter, and I am now the proud owner of a Gateway laptop.

It's just wonderful. :-)

Christy Reece said...

Something I should have mentioned is that I'm hoping to use my new laptop for writing only. Since staying online and constantly checking my email has become an addiction, I want to force myself to only check it a few times a day. Also, that would keep viruses away from the new one. So, any suggestions for me since I'll only use it for writing?

Thanks for the advice so far. You've given me some things to look for when I'm ready to shop.

JoAnn said...

If all you want it for is writing, I'd definitely go with a Mac.

Just my Mac-predjudiced two cents.

:-)