Friday, September 28, 2007

My First Panic Free Conference

I'm headed to Atlanta in a couple of hours for my first Moonlight and Magnolia conference. This will be the first conference I've attended that I didn't have a scheduled appointment with an agent or editor. For many people, pitching their work is easy and painless. I'm not one of those people. In previous conferences, much of my time was spent reviewing and practicing my pitch. By the time of the appointment, I should have been ready, but instead always found myself floundering. My last agent appointment netted me my dream agent, but I promise you, it wasn't from my smooth pitch. She was kind enough to ask questions and I actually had answers.

So I plan to thoroughly enjoy myself, learn from some amazing writers and experts, spend time with friends, make new friends and cheer for some of my favorite authors at the Maggies.

What about you? What do you enjoy most when you go to a conference? What do you look forward to and what do you dread?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Talking with people about writing all weekend long and not seeing their eyes glaze over with boredom. Becoming energized by the keynote speakers. Being away from home. Oops! Did I say that outloud?

And of course, making new friends and seeing the old ones.

I can't wait for next weekend. I'll be at the NJRW with Sherrilyn, Dianna, and Genie! Can't wait!

Be sure to call me tomorrow night, Christy, and let me know where I place in the finalists. Probably fifth or third. I hit third a lot. But you never know, I might hit second place this time.

MaryF said...

At this point, I'd just like to go to one...LOL
Yes, I am sad. But, I'll get there.

Tell us ALL about it when you get back.