Friday, September 21, 2007

Living the dream

Now that she has sold her first THREE books, Christy Reece e-mails me once a week with a list of questions about becoming a happy, well-adjusted newly published author. I always answer, “Why the heck are you asking ME?”

Here for Christy and the rest of you is a list of steps to living the dream.

1. When your book receives a good review, that’s because the reviewers really know what they’re talking about.

2. When your book receives a bad review, no one pays any attention to that rag anyway.

3. When you win a contest, this is just one more indication that you are a terrific writer.

4. When you don’t win a contest, it means nothing because contests are so subjective.

5. When your book sells well...now you KNOW you’re a terrific writer.

6. When your book doesn’t sell well, you are not lowering your standards to appeal to popular tastes.

7. When your editor buys your next book, you’re on a roll, baby!

8. When your editor refuses your next book, that’s because you are so creative that you are ahead of the curve. Someday...SOMEDAY, perhaps long after you are gone, the world will appreciate your art.

9. When your mother loves your book, she knows best.

10. When your mother hates your book, she has Issues.

Just kidding, Mom! I meant mothers in general. I was going for the punchline. Ba-dump-bump. *cymbal crash* (My mom reads this blog.)

3 comments:

Christy Reece said...

LOL! Jenn, you just took care of the next three weeks worth of questions. I'm sure I can come up with many more though.

Thanks for answering these in advance!

Carla Swafford said...

I love your humor! So right on!! Can't wait to hug you tomorrow! I'll quit yelling now!

jennifer echols said...

*snort*