Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I'd Rather Be Boiled in Oil

No, I'm not getting kinky or sadistic. I have no one to blame but myself. I volunteered. I guess I'm crazy.

On Saturday, September 8, my other local chapter, the Heart of Dixie, is having a full-day workshop. I volunteered to talk about writing the inspirational romance. Yes, I've written one and have the starts of two more. My complete is still under consideration at Steeple Hill. Yet, right now, I'm feeling as unqualified as if I was speaking on brain surgery or rocket science.

I spent my Labor Day fine tuning. Trying not to repeat myself. My head is spinning.

Have you ever volunteered for something you'd rather not do? Why? How did you get through it?

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I do it all the time, Debbie. I want to help and I rarely get nervous speaking in public. But always the week before, I start fussing at myself and wondering what in the world was I thinking.

Oddly enough, it always works out.

You'll do fine. Just remember not to read it all off the paper and move your eyes across the room. Aim for the tops of their heads. People always think you're looking at the person behind them. That way you won't see their expressions (interest, bored, sleepy, disbelief, etc. LOL!) and freeze up. :-)

Deborah Matthews said...

Thanks for the advice, Carla.

MaryF said...

I think, just because you have finished one and are working on two is fantastic, that is better then where I am at the moment...! So I think you definately have something to offer, and I am going to encourage you.

Deborah Matthews said...

Thanks, Mary.