Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Anybody Got a Life Preserver?

Yesterday was one of those days. "Life" swamped me and tossed me into the water without my water wings.

As I was dealing with one small crisis after another, I found myself longing for the weirdest thing: rain. I kept thinking "If only it would rain, I could handle all this!"

I finally figured out that wishing for rain was psychological shorthand for a cup of tea; a chilly, damp afternoon all to myself; and a good book. Even though the chances of that wish coming true are pretty slim, just figuring it out gave me a little moment of pleasure.

What do you do to chill out when your stress level rises?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I enjoy sitting in bed and reading. I'm away from the constant noise of the TV and can just immerse myself in a good story.

Christy Reece said...

I do a variety of different things. I get down on my knees and pray. I also take long walks and talk to myself...people avoid me for some reason when I do this. A hot cup of sweet tea can be so relaxing, as can savoring the deliciousness of a Hershey's Kiss or a Milky Way bar. And, a good book and a glass of red wine can be sheer magic.