Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Is a Laptop What My Muse Needs?

I'm always behind the technological curve. I had a PC after most everyone else. I seem to have convinced myself a laptop will help me write. I can whip it out and write anywhere. Sounds good, doesn't it?

I have an AlphaSmart, which allows the same thing. It was fairly inexpensive, but the screen is small. But my muse keeps insisting she needs a laptop. I keep telling her it's unneeded, but she doesn't listen very well.

Is there anything you've bought to help you write? And did it work?

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

I love my laptop, Debbie. I do my best writing in bars and coffee shops. I love being able to take it on trips and work in the car.

I've never had an AlphaSmart. I don't know much about them, but I know a lot of people love them. And maybe an AlphaSmart would have worked just as well as a laptop for me. But I really like having access to all my notes on a story, my interviews with my characters, and my drafts. (Maybe you can do that on an AlphaSmart too.)

And this is a weird thing, but I like being able to see the whole page at one time. It helps me see when paragraphs are too long (a big fault of mine) and helps me revise dialogue.

So, I say -- go for the laptop! :-)

MaryF said...

I got a lap top.
Then I got a desk top.
Now I drag around a notebook.

I think it all depends on you. (Lap tops are really cool though)

Deborah Matthews said...

With a special connection, you can transfer from a PC to an AlphasSmart, but I've never done that. There is a limit of pages--I don't remember off the top of my head what it is. But it's plenty for writing.

To me, the biggest obstacle is the small viewer. The current AS has a bigger "window" but still can't see as much as a laptop.