Monday, July 30, 2007

Reader's Block

I have come down the a bad case of 'reader's block'. Everything I pick up lately can't seem to hold my attention. I do finish the books but they are just not 'grab me and keep me running until the end' kind of books. Recently, it's been 'grab me and drag me along'. I love reading books that keep me going, those that I can't wait until my lunch break to see if the two characters finally get together, if she discovers his deep dark secret or if they really do get back together (of course they will!).

I even went to my top shelf in my bookcase. The top shelf is reserved for those books that I have to reread about every 3 or 4 months. They are like your favorite movie that you know by heart but you need that 'fix' every so often. Sometimes I need my book fix. Well, last night, that top shelf didn't even fix my blockage.

Does anyone have any great books that they just have to read over and over to get their fix? If so, what are they?

Barb

7 comments:

Christy said...

Yes! There are several books I have to read each year, sometimes even more. Not only do I love them for their entertainment value, they always stimulate me and get me excited about the writing process again.

Linda Howard's Mackenzie's Mountain, Sarah's Child, and Dream Man. Susan Elizabeth Phillip's It Had To Be You, Julie Garwood's The Bride and Karen Rose's I'm Watching You.

MaryF said...

Actually, when I have Reader's block, is when I write, or try to. Perhaps reading something completely different will help. It like taking a vacation, its necessary so you can come back to work a bit more refreshed. It is the same with reading. Try something different and see what happens.(like a history book, or on some other hobby you like.)

Carla Swafford said...

Rainbow Season by Candace Camp (aka Lisa Gregory), Sarah's Child and All the Queen's Men by Linda Howard, Take No Prisoners and Lady Sarah's Son by Gayle Wilson, Several of Anne Stuart's and a couple real old ones.

Deborah Matthews said...

I'm sitting here with my new B&N order beside me, but can't get in the mood to read: The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn; The Suicide Club by Gayle Wilson; The Naked Earl by Sally MacKenzie; and Heart full of Soul by Taylor Hicks.

Unfortunately, most of the ones I like to reread are still boxed in the garage from the move. Honor's Splendour by Julie Garwood and several other historicals by JG, especially the Scottish ones; Ravished and several other older Amanda Quick historicals. I'll be so glad when David gets around to my shelves. I also like to reread The Tin Cup Bandit, whose author's name escapes me. You'll notice the rereads I've mentioned are historicals. There are a few older Jayne Ann Krentz' books that I like to reread.

doglady said...

Lisa Kleypas's DEVIL IN WINTER
Gayle Wilson's HIS SECRET DUCHESS
Mary Balogh's SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS
Julia Quinn's TO SIR PHILLIP WITH LOVE
My new favorite? CLAIMING THE COURTESAN by Anna Campbell

Mary Janice Davidson's UNDEAD AND UNWED

Harper Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

Ace Atkin's WHITE SHADOW

John Berendt's MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL

It is really interesting to see what everyone likes to read over and over. Great topic!

Angel said...

Shades of Twilight by Linda Howard.
The Fallen Angel series by Mary Jo Putney.
Game series by Christine Feehan
and anything by Sharon Sala

But I do think that the more you write, the harder it is to read. It is easier to get disenchanted or notice flaws, and the book has to be more interesting than the people in your head. :)

Danniele

jennifer echols said...

Mary Stuart's The Moonspinners

Ursula K. Le Guin's The Beginning Place

Anything by Jane Austen--I have gotten on a kick before and re-read all 6 of her major novels in a row!

And when I'm sick, I always re-read Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House in the Big Woods.