Monday, July 16, 2007

I've Got a Secret

On June 1 I went to work for the Chamber of Commerce. They don't know I'm a writer much less published. My writing career has been in stall for a few years now, so it's not like they're going to accidentally buy my book in a store. But my books are not something I've ever quickly shared with strangers or new acquaintees. It's not shame. Maybe modesty or shyness. On the other hand, my husband freely tells anyone, even strangers in stores, that I'm a published author.

How quickly do you share with people that you're a writer and working to get published? Or that you are published?

3 comments:

MaryF said...

I think that has been one of the hardest things, admitting that I am writer. For years, I have thought of myself as well..just someone who dabbled in it.

When I finally lept out of and told someone I get one of two reactions: A great reception or the look of disbelief.

So, I just feel the waters. Sometimes I share and sometimes I keep it to myself...

Carla Swafford said...

Whenever I tell someone not in RWA that I'm a writer, the next question is where can they get my book? Like if you're a writer you must be published. Wish it was that easy.

Christy said...

If it's a social setting and people are sharing who they are and what they do, I always say that I'm a writer. Yes, most times they'll ask where they can buy my books and while I'd love to tell them to just go to their local bookstore, I just say I'm not published yet, but hope to be someday.

A lot of times, people are excited just to meet someone who's actually finished a book. There are loads of people out there who want to write a book and never get around to it. Meeting someone who has actually written a book is cool to them.