Wednesday, July 04, 2007

How did you Celebrate the Fourth of July?

Cookouts. Fireworks. Trips to the lake or beach. Those are the images that come to mind when we think of July 4th. But the day should mean so much more. We owe so much to the men who foresaw a country free of a king. A country where peopled were free to live and worship as they please. And such freedom doesn't come cheaply. Please take a moment during your festivities to thank God for those men willing to give their lives for our freedom.

Once you've taken a moment, enjoy your family and all that goes with the holiday. It's a quiet day for my husband and me. He cooked barbecue and I made potato salad. He took a nap and I worked on a new work-in-progress as well as a workshop for the Heart of Dixie Chapter. Occasionally, I turned on the tv and watched a few minutes of Monk.

So, how did you celebrate the day?

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Debbie, one of my most favorite movies of all time is 1776. TCM had it on starting at 9 last night, and I watched it until the very end (11:45!). I've seen it a bazillion times, but I still get chills at the end when each man steps up to sign the Declaration. The movie really gives you a sense of just exactly what these men were doing--committing treason against the king.

MaryF said...

I celebrated by just being with my family. We had some friends come over shared some ribs, shot some fireworks and contemplated the fact that America is 231 years old.