Sunday, July 08, 2007

Books I haven't read

My to-be-read shelf is shameful. I read every day, but there are just too many wonderful books out there for me to keep up. My eyes are bigger than my stomach, too. I buy way more books than I read. I just paid the library $12 in overdue fines and this afternoon I'm going back for more!

I have read a big percentage of the classics of English and American literature--you might be surprised. But that was in a previous life. Nowadays I'm so swamped with reading books by my prolific friends, I haven't read some of the most popular books of the last few years. I want to read them not just for enjoyment but also for my own good as a writer. When a book is extremely popular, I think it's important for a writer to know what draws people to that story rather than another story. Sometimes I can't figure it out at all (The Bridges of Madison County), but I want to try. Here are some of the best sellers on my list to read before the end of the year:

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (currently reading)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Harry Potter. The first one!

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

How about you? Are you able to keep up with your reading, or are you missing key pieces of the best selling puzzle?

3 comments:

MaryF said...

Keeping up with my reading is a source of frustration, because I seem to be one step behind. In order to keep up with my reading I give up on other things, (Like creating a web page!) But reading has helped with my writing. (Although I feel like my writing is always a step behind. The stories I create have been over done...oh well thats another subject).

Good luck on your reading. :)

Carla Swafford said...

I go in spells. Presently I've been reading about two-three books a week. Keeping my website up on what I'm reading and have read becomes crazy. And sometimes I read two books at the same time. I'll keep one at work and one at home.

I read in my car before walking in to work, at the doctor offices, waiting for hubby at stores (yes, he's shopping and I'm not - hate shopping -- something to do with being broke most of my life), during lunch (if not playing Scrabble), at night between ten and midnight, while cooking dinner, breakfast or whatever. The only time I don't read as much is during the fall season with the new TV shows. Usually once I realize most of them are crap, I'm back to reading. Of course, I've been know to watch TV and read at the same time.

I've also learn not to read anything out of duty and friendship. I've bought lots of my friends/chapter-mates' books and given them away as presents. I feel I make it up to my friends by giving them a new fan(s). I read only books that I'm really interested in reading -- yep, Jenn, your books are my kind of books. LOL! I love your sense of humor and know I'll get a kick out of anything you write.

And I agree with you, Jenn. Madison County sucked. But my decision was based on moral reasons than artistic.

Barb said...

LOL...I just had to laugh at Jenn's comment about the overdue books. I'm just as bad and I WORK at a library!!!

I'm currently reading the third installment of the Raintree series. Linda, Linda and Beverly did an awesome job!!