Sunday, June 24, 2007

Teen writers

Hey all! I had a really good time yesterday at the workshop. If you missed it, you missed out on some really good information. And thanks to Jason, I watched "Kull" twice since last night.;-) The first time just to watch for the weapons used and the second just to see Kevin Sorbo again - yes, I have my own DVD.


Anyhoo...at the library this summer we are trying to get the teens involved with activities. Anything we can think of to get them back into the library. We have a great lineup of programs on Wednesday afternoons and a chess club that meets right after the program each week. It started off slow in the beginning of June but last week we had 20 kids show up! We also have a Detective Camp going on through next week. A detective and youth police officer from our local department voluneetered to do this camp. The kids learn first hand what officers must do step by step at a crime scene. This coming week, we are going to have a burglery at the library then the kids will go to the courthouse to have a trial.


Anyway...I do have some kids who seem to be interested in writing and we have a mystery writing contest this summer but the submittions are very low. How can I get these kids started in writing? I have a few links on the library's website - http://www.appl.info/writingsites.htm but haven't had too many hits on it. Any suggestions??

Thanks. ;-)

3 comments:

jennifer echols said...

I've heard a lot of people say fanfic got them started writing. There are a zillion sites online where anyone can post a continuation of what goes on in popular books or movies. Some people disapprove (I've heard J. K. Rowling is one of them) but I basically started this way verbally, thinking up fanfic with my friend for Lois Duncan novels. There's also a site called teenink.com where teens can submit their writing for inclusion in books and magazines. I'm so jealous--I wish the internet had been around when I was a teenager!

Carla Swafford said...

Personally I believe if they were to meet a real live published writer. Liiikkkee maaayybeee, a published YA writer by the name of Jennifer Echols, that would encourage them. If I had met a published writer while a teenager, who knows, I might have several books published by now. I always thought people like that had to be from New York or some other big city.

jennifer echols said...

If I had met a published writer while a teenager, who knows, I might have several books published by now. I always thought people like that had to be from New York or some other big city

This part I agree with. ;)