Thursday, June 21, 2007

Leaping

I sit here staring at the screen and I am dumbfounded. (Not hard, if you know me and have prevented me from having my morning caffeine). Still, its a blank page. It reminds me a bit when I was in art school--you stare at that blank canvas and wonder....what am I going to do? Where am I going to start? and what if I mess it up? Does that mean I have to start over? (of course this leads to--do I have to buy new canvas, etc...but that's another story.)



Then, like with anything, you have to step off. Take that leap of faith (or in my case, blindly jumping and hoping I don't hit a prickly bush). OK, I'd like to say that every time I do I land on my feet. Nope. I usually find mud. What I do find is the fun of just doing it--jumping off and writing.



Yes, I do hide a lot of my first attempts (a lot like those first drawings and paintings). Sometimes I don't, and this is one of those times. I am leaping out there--writing and just letting it happen.



Take a chance, have fun. Write something different, throw in a new character, just have fun. Like with this post--I took a leap.



What will you do to day that's a leap? (hey, I'll even take a hop)
Now where did I put my coffee...

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Oh, wow, Mary -- I can so identify with you on this -- especially the art school thing. Once I invited a bunch of friends to my studio space to help me get started, because I couldn't do it myself. My professor, who was an old geezer (well, at least he seemed old! In truth, he was probably a lot younger than I am now!) loved it and started telling me all about the "happenings" he went to in the fifties and sixties!

Sorry -- that's off topic. But I hadn't thought about that in years. Fun memory.

Good luck with your "blank canvas comptuer screen."

:-)

JoAnn Weatherly

MaryF said...

JoAnn,
Now I want to hear all about your Art school happenings. :) I miss doing the art some days, but thats when I turn to writing.
Speaking off...going to go throw some "Paint" on the ol' computer screen now.
Mary
So, what kind of things did that teacher get up to in the 50's and 60's? :D Sounds like a story there!